A parliamentary selection committee on April 7 presented a list of ten candidates for three six-year positions on the Georgian public broadcaster’s board of directors.
From the slate, the House Majority, Opposition, and Georgia Public Defender must each select one candidate to present to the legislature for the vote.
In accordance with GBP’s internal rules, the board is made up of a total of nine members, three of whom are appointed by the majority, three by the opposition, two by the Public Defender and one by the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of ‘Adjara.
The vacancy for the three positions was announced earlier in March, as Board Chair Irina Putkaradze, elected under the Ombudsman’s quota, Irakli Papava, a GD-appointed member, and Giorgi Nizharadze, a director appointed by the opposition, are coming to the end of their mandate.
The ten shortlisted candidates are:
- Marina Giorgadze — Senior specialist in the Parliamentary Public Relations and Information Service
- Arina Tavakarashvili — Assistant Professor at Sulkhan-Saba University in Tbilisi; Visiting lecturer at Gori State Pedagogical University; Civic education teacher at the AC school in Gori; NATO Affairs Expert at the International Center for Geopolitical Studies.
- Giorgi Yasashvili — Lawyer at the Syndicate of Public Broadcasters.
- Bela Kopaliani — Associate Professor at Grigol Robakidze University in Tbilisi; Deputy Minister of Justice and Civic Integration of the Abkhazian government in exile based in Tbilisi.
- Vasil Maglaperidze — Producer of the educational program “Our Georgia” at the GPB; Vice-president of the ruling party Georgian Dream in January-March 2021; General director of GPB in 2017-2020.
- Aleksi Noniadze — Member of the opposition political group Reformers in Parliament; Vice-president of the Georgian Association of Automobile Importers.
- Lasha Tugushi — Co-host of the TV talk show Palitra To resume; professor at Tbilisi State University; Editor-in-chief of the English-language online newspaper DFwatch.
- Lia Shavgulidze — Director of the Center for Journalistic Research and Economic Analysis, a non-profit organization.
- Donara Shonava — Director of the Mediacommunications School at House of Justice, a non-profit organization.
- Zaza Khutsishvili — Former Georgian Dream Majority MP (2016-2020).
Read also :
This position is also available in:
ქართული (Georgian) Русский (Russian)